Shipping a car from one location to another often requires patience. Coordinating the pickup and delivery, dealing with paperwork, and ensuring the vehicle is transported safely can take time. However, in today’s fast-paced world, delays are more frustrating than ever. Whether relocating to a new city or taking a vehicle on a one-way trip, customers increasingly want the car shipping experience to be as seamless and speedy as possible.
Streamlining the paperwork trail
One of the biggest time sinks in car shipping is completing all the necessary documents. Carriers require forms providing details about the vehicle, pickup/delivery addresses, estimated value for insurance purposes, and terms of service. While this paperwork is important, the process can be streamlined.
- Many carriers now offer online portals to fill out forms digitally instead of using printed copies.
- Documents are pre-populated with generic info to reduce data entry time.
- Electronic signatures allow agreements to be signed remotely versus in-person.
Digitizing paperwork eliminates delays from mailing/faxing forms and speeds up the approval process. It also enables scheduling the pickup as soon as details are submitted instead of waiting for hard copies to be exchanged.
Shortening loading/unloading windows
The time actually spent loading a vehicle onto a transport truck and unloading it at the destination significantly impacts shipping speed. Tight loading/unloading windows of only a couple hours can result in rescheduling if the carrier is late.
- Experienced drivers trained to work efficiently can shave minutes off the loading/unloading process with every vehicle.
- Larger transport trucks that can accommodate multiple cars reduce the number of stops needed.
- Carriers optimizing routes minimize waiting around between pickups/deliveries.
With tight schedules, even small time savings per vehicle add up. Faster loading/unloading allows for scheduling pickups/deliveries closer together instead of being spread out over multiple days.
Investing in transport upgrades
As with any transportation industry, improvements in vehicle technology can accelerate the shipping process. Modern transport trucks equipped with features like:
- Automatic ramps that lower/raise with the push of a button instead of manual cranking.
- Onboard computers managing load plans and directions to optimize routes.
- Geofencing so drivers know exactly when approaching pickup/delivery points.
Newer trucks configured specifically for auto transport also provide advantages over standard semi-trailers. Customization like additional ramps and securement points where fewer straps and time are needed to firmly lock down vehicles.
Investing in upgraded transport equipment allows carriers to gain efficiencies that shave precious minutes off each shipping job. Faster is safer and leads to happier customers with swifter car delivery experiences.
Providing real-time tracking
Another factor that can improve speed perception is transparency. Customers shipping a vehicle want to know its location and estimated time of arrival without waiting for periodic updates by phone. Real-time GPS tracking accessible online or via mobile apps remedies this.
- Carriers equipped with telematics can monitor each truck’s position, speed, and estimated time between stops.
- Customers receive automated notifications if pickup/delivery times need adjusting due to delays.
- Geo-fencing alerts drivers entering destination zones to finalize delivery preparations.
Rather than leaving customers wondering “where’s my car?”, digital tracking empowers them with constant visibility. It minimizes the perceived wait time and builds trust that the shipment is progressing smoothly according to schedule.
Streamlining paperwork, optimizing transport operations, and leveraging technology creates a win-win for auto carriers and their customers. Faster vehicle shipping satisfies the demand for immediacy while boosting customer satisfaction. Paying attention to efficiency in every step of the process from order submission to delivery keeps the driving experience moving at the speed of the digital age.